You must register your iPhone's wireless card so that it can connect automatically to Stanford's wireless network into Stanford's NetDB system.
On-campus students can register their wireless card online at the Rescomp website. If you can't self-register, contact your RCC for help.
Faculty and staff should be able to register their iPhone through the Stanford Network Self Registration service. If you have difficulty doing so, please contact your LNA (Local Network Administrator) for card registration. If you live off-campus or cannot locate your LNA, submit a HelpSU request or call the Stanford IT Help Desk at (650) 725-4357 (5-HELP).
You will need to know the MAC address of your iPhone's wireless card in order to register it.
To determine the MAC address:
1) From the Home screen, tap the Settings icon.
2) Tap General.
3) Tap About.
4) Scroll down to Wi-Fi Address and carefully copy down the number displayed there.
5) Tap the Home button to return to the Home screen.
See the Apple iPhone at Stanford website for more information.
To register: (faculty and staff, and students living off-campus):
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap Stanford. NOTE: You must be in a Stanford wireless-enabled location for your iPhone to find the 'Stanford' network option.
- Press the Home button to return to the Home screen.
- Open Safari. This should automatically redirect you to the Stanford Network Self-Registration page.
- The self-reg page gives you options depending upon your status.
- Click the Network Registration button. The Stanford WebAuth page displays.
- Log in with your SUNet ID and password. The choose location screen displays.
- Select from the dropdown menu the location where your iPhone will most often be used. If you don't see your location in the dropdown menu, enter your building and room number in the Room Number text field. Note: If you need help filling in this information, you can press the I'm not sure button to see a list of LNAs (Local Network Administrators). Most departments have an LNA, who can give you the correct information to enter.
- Press Continue. The description page displays.
- The system should auto-fill your SUNet ID, LNA (or other administrator), and your iPhone's unique identifier.
- Click the radio buttons to answer the last two questions. Learn about Moderate and High Risk Data.
- Click Continue. The finished page displays.
- After 20 approximately minutes, renew your iPhone's IP address:
A. Tap Settings > Wi-Fi > Stanford.
B. Tap Forget this Network.
C. When the confirmation screen appears, tap the red Forget Network bar.
D. Tap the Wi-Fi Networks button to return to the previous screen.
E. Choose the network Stanford (so that it's checked), and tap the right arrow to advance to the next screen, where you should see your IP address and other information filled in.