Every laptop manufacturer has their own way of managing wireless network connections. See Details.
Some methods used to turn off the wireless network connection in Windows include:
- a physical switch on the side of the laptop
- a wireless icon in the system tray
- Right click the icon and select View Available Wireless Networks.
- Click the name of your wireless network and then click the Disconnect button.
- the Windows Network control panel
- Click the Start button and navigate to Settings > Network Connections.
- Right-click the Wireless Network Connection and select View Available Wireless Networks.
- Right-click the name of your wireless connection and click Disable.
NOTE: If you disable your wireless connection using the Network Control Panel, you must also use the Network Control panel to enable wireless connections the next time you want to connect to a wireless network.
With Mac OS X, click the signal strength indicator in the upper right corner of the screen and click Turn Airport off.